Serving Size: 2 (We used a small 6" cast iron skillet given to us by our Papa).
2 large granny smith apples (pealed and thinly sliced)
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbs flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt
sugar for dusting
1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (comes in packs of 2)
1. Preheat oven to 425° and set aside pie crust to thaw.
2. Combine butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, and sliced apples in a medium bowl. Mix well to coat.
3. Heat a 6-inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add pie filling. Once the mixture begins to bubble, spoon off a tablespoon of the liquid and set aside.
4. Next, unroll the pie crust over the skillet (we cut ours down slightly to fit). With a wooden spoon push down the edges of the crust into the pie. Cut steam slits in the crust, brush with the reserved liquid, and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour before serving.
Serve with a scoop of Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream and you'll make this every chance you get!
- Jane Austen