I've written about my Papa's famous banana bread here and here before, but I can't believe it's taken me this long to share his recipe with you! There's only one word to describe this banana bread: HIGHLYADDICTIVE. So don't say I didn't warn you ... Tim Tam and I eat two loves in two days.
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cups shortening room temperature (we use Butter Flavored Crisco)
2 eggs, separated
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (we use 2 bananas that are spotted brown, so not too ripe)
4 Tbs of milk
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbs warm water
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 325° and spray TWO 9 1/2" loaf pans with Baker's Joy. Set aside.
2. Combine milk and vinegar in a small dish and set aside.
3. Dissolve baking soda and warm water in a small dish and set aside.
4. Sift flour into a small bowl and set aside.
5. Using a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer beat the sugar and shortening until thoroughly blended.
6. Next, beat in egg yolks and bananas. (Egg whites should be set aside in a small metal bowl).
7. Combine sour milk into banana bread mixture on LOW.
8. Combine dissolved baking soda and water on LOW.
9. Mix in sifted flower, vanilla, and salt on LOW. Then increase to MEDIUM until mixture is well combined.
10. Using a hand held mixer beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and fold them into the batter.
11. Divide batter into greased loaf pans and bake for 55 minutes.
12. Let cool on a wire rack. As the loaves cool they should cave somewhat in the middle. This maybe might be the best part. Enjoy!