A few weeks ago a friend asked if I would make him some beef jerky to take with him to Africa. After scouring tons of recipes online I finally chose this one based on the ingredients, reviews, and cost. I promise it will A) make your house smell AWESOME B) satisfy every savory craving you have and C) inspire you to never again buy store bought jerky. EVER. I look forward to making it again before we leave for Uganda!
4 lbs Beef Round Steak (we bought 3.74 lbs at SAMS for $16.54)
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
4 Tbsp Liquid Smoke (can find at your grocery store in the BBQ sauce isle)
4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp Meat Tenderizer (we used Adolph's)
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Paprika
1. Place the meat in the freezer for 2 hrs so it's easier to slice.
2. Take meat out of the freezer and slice into 1/8" strips and layer them in the bottom of a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the soy sauce, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, brown sugar, salt, pepper, meat tenderizer, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl. (Go ahead, stick your finger in the bowl and taste it. You know you want to).
4. Pour liquid over the meat and gently turn using your hands to ensure that all meat is evenly coated. Cover with Saran Wrap and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
5. The next day remove the meat from your refrigerator and arrange on dehydrator trays. (Our 3.74 lbs of meet filled 6 trays). Dry meat on your dehydrator's highest setting for at least 4-6 hours or until done. (Be sure and rotate your trays every 2 hours).
6. You'll know you're jerky is done when it's no longer pink in the middle and it bends (if it breaks you've overcooked it). ENJOY!
PS, this is the Food Dehydrator
we use and love it! Original recipe adapted from here.