Then we found a partially sunny spot under a tree in our backyard to set up our hive base to face East.
We also used three cinder blocks we found on the side of the road to help make a level foundation.
Once our hive was assembled we waited for Paul to deliver our bees.
He came over around 10pm Monday and let them adjust to their new location overnight.
The next morning we used a smoker to calm the bees so we could transfer our nuc.
After opening the hive we could see our honeybees were happy & healthy!
Once all of our nuc frames were transferred into the new hive we left the old one open so the remaining stragglers could get out.
It wasn't long before they started searching for the queen and decided to move into their new digs.
By next week our bottom box should be full of honey so we'll have to add another medium super on top. This begins the game of adding boxes, extracting honey, adding boxes, extracting honey.
Thankfully all of our bees are local so they should thrive in KY's unpredictable weather.
I think they'll be happy living here at the Harvest House!
In honor of our new 40,000 honey making friends I'm going to go listen to this while I make these.
Happy Friday, brave ones. You made it.